Did you know that the same UV rays that damage your skin also damage your hair? Not only should a girl watch out for the sun, but also swimming pool chemicals and salty ocean water. This combination can make for brittle hair and faded color — never a good look.
The good news is that our expert stylists have you covered. Below is a list of helpful tips and product recommendations to keep your hair healthy and luxurious, all summer long!
While everything seems bigger here in Texas, so is the scorching summer sun. Unless you're a hermit, you're going to be forced to face the sun. To protect your glorious locks, never leave the house without a UV protectant in your hair and be sure to give your hair some extra love when you return home.
- Try Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil — a little goes a long way, acting as a shield from the damaging rays. For protection a step further, try Kérastase Aqua Seal — this fab product also protects hair from pool water.
- For locks that had a little too much fun after a day outdoors, apply Aveda Sun Care After-Sun Hair Masque or shampoo with Kérastase Bain Aprés-Soleil to restore moisture.
Kérastase In-Salon Rituals will make you fall in love with your hair all over again. These deep conditioning treatments are custom designed to provide hair with the individualized care that it needs. It's a great way to restore lost moisture from all that summer fun, making hair oh-so-soft to the touch. Depending on your hair, we recommend a treatment every 4-6 weeks.
Before you go on your next beach trip, make an appointment for a Wella Clear Hair Shine In-Salon Treatment. It's an all-over clear coat that locks in color, as well as a nourishing sealant that adds shine and protects hair from UV rays and swimming pool chemicals. It lasts for about four weeks — perfect for those long vacations!
On top of using the right products, there are a few other daily tricks you can use to maintain the happiest of hair!
- Cut your shampoo sessions down to a few times a week. While yes, we need shampoo to clean our hair, it also strips our natural protective oils from the scalp and hair — therefore it's not good to wash your hair everyday. If your head starts to feel like a grease pit, try using a dry shampoo as an alternative between washes.
- Believe it or not, tap water actually has a small amount of chlorine in it; when it's hot tap water, the chemicals become even more intense and damaging — yikes! The cooler water you can use when washing your hair, the better.
- Wear a cute hat or a trendy scarf. Hats not only shade your face, but they also protect your hair.
- It's summer. It's hot. The last thing anyone wants is a heated blow dryer blasting through their hair. Instead of heat-styling, try working some natural beachy waves, or a quick side braid.